As you age, it is more important ever to maintain balance and prevent injuries. Try these great exercises to help improve your balance.
Best Balance Exercises For Seniors
Here are 7 great balance exercises to try at home:
- Balance Walk
- Back Leg Raises
- Side Leg Raises
- Tree Pose
- Tightrope Walk
- Rock The Boat
- Single Foot Balance
Now let us walk you through all these exercises below!
- Start by raising your arms up to shoulder height.
- Focus on one point to maintain steadiness as you walk.
- Step forward by placing your heel just in front of the foot you moved forward.
- Repeat this action for 20 steps.
Bag Leg Raises
- Grip a sturdy chair for balance.
- Slowly breathe in before beginning this exercise.
- Breathe out slowly, as you lift one leg without bending your knee or pointing your toes.
- Refrain from leaning forward.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Breathe in when lowering your leg.
- Repeat this action 10-15 times.
- Do the same motion 10-15 times with the opposite leg now.
Side Leg Raises
- Again, grip a chair to steady yourself.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart.
- Slowly breathe in before exercising.
- Keep your back straight and toes pointing forward.
- Now breathe out while lifting one leg out to the side.
- Slightly bend the leg you are standing on.
- Repeat this action 10-15 times.
- Do the same with the opposite leg.
- Repeat the action 10-15 times.
- Start in a standing position.
- Shift your weight onto your left foot.
- Position your right foot to the side with your heel lifted.
- You could place the sole of your foot against your ankle, shin, or thigh, instead.
- Hold for up to 1 minute.
- Do the same action with the opposite side.
- Lifting your arms, extend them out to your sides.
- Walk a straight line all while focusing on a fixed point off in the distance.
- Pause with your foot in the air for 2-3 seconds with each step.
- Take 20-30 steps total.
Rock The Boat
- Stand while keeping your feet hip-distance apart.
- Lift and extend your arms out to the sides.
- Lift your left foot off the floor.
- Bend your knee and bring your heel towards your bottom.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- Do the same action on the opposite side.
- Do sets of 3 on each side.
Single Foot Balance
- You will need a balance board for this exercise.
- Stand with your right foot in the center of the balance board.
- Raise your left foot and knee as high as you can.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Do both sides 2-3 times.
Balance Exercises For Seniors PDF
Download our Balance Exercises PDF right here.
Mobility Center In Mesa, Arizona
Mobility Center has been proudly serving the entire Phoenix, Arizona area since 1975 with the finest in mobility aids, scooters, wheel chairs, lifts and support equipment. Visit our convenient location to see the products and receive the individual attention that you deserve. Our service area includes Mesa, Apache Junction, Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Glendale, Surprise, and Sun City.
More Articles About Senior Living
- Best Walking Canes
- What Is a Rollator?
- 10 Common Mobility Scooter Problems
- Wheel Chairs Near Me
- Why Might An Older House Have More Safety Risks Than A New One?
- Types Of Mobility Aids
- How Much Does a Stair Lift Cost?
- 65 Quotes About Getting Older
- Elderly Home Safety Checklist
- The Best Places To Retire In Arizona
- Wheel Chairs For Sale In Phoenix, Arizona
- How Much Does A Wheelchair Cost?
- Top 5 Best Walkers For Seniors
- How Much Do Scooters For Seniors Cost?